The Swine Flu-Supplement, Don’t Vaccinate
By Stan Gardner, M.D., CNS
G6PD Deficiency and the Flu Vaccine Editor’s Note:
G6PD Deficiency and the flu vaccine is always a question that comes up this time of year. I am adamantly opposed to the swine flu vaccine, and am convinced that getting a vaccination against swine flu is not in your best interest. Read the facts, and decide for yourself. Do remember that when he talks about vitamin C, as far as we are concerned, that does not mean ascorbic acid. Citric Acid is fine if you can find it or get your vitamin C from fruit and veggies. This article will also dispel much of the fear factor surrounding swine flu.
About the swine flu
Dr. Russell Blaylock, author, lecturer, retired neurosurgeon, and nutritional researcher, did a detailed analysis of the material from the CDC (Center for Disease Control), printed on September 5, 2009:
1. Flu hospitalizations are the same or lower for all flu illness this year, as compared to other years.
2. The number of flu deaths this year has not changed from yearly averages.
3. There is no evidence of viral mutation anywhere in the world.
4. Flu illness remains susceptible to antiviral drugs, so swine flu is not resistant to Tamiflu or other flu antivirals.
5. 43,771 cases were reported in the United States (however, poor reporting could place real estimates as high as one million). Of the reported cases, 5,011 people have been hospitalized; 302 deaths have resulted, which is 0.6% of 43,771 or 0.03% of one million.
6. Because the chronically ill and immune suppressed tend to get infected early, most deaths will occur early in the season (so even as illness numbers are rising, deaths will decrease as the season progresses).
7. People do not die from flu itself. The only reason people die from flu is that they have a contributing immune- suppressing chronic illness. Some illnesses that fit into that category are diabetes, dietary deficiencies, chronic pulmonary disease, heart disease, cancer, and direct immune dysfunction.
8. A review of the 1918 flu pandemic found that most deaths were related to complications of bacterial pneumonia, before the widespread use of antibiotics and when there were no IV fluids and no respirators yet in use.
9. The number of children’s deaths this year are less than the previous two years by this time of year.
Some Things Don’t Make Sense
If you are not into conspiracy theories, then jump to the next topic about the importance of being healthy as a protection from all diseases, including swine flu. But for those who are open to looking at some mighty odd information, check out the following:
These are some good questions brought to the forefront in a class action law suit from journalist Jane Burgermeister, filed on July 30, 2009 (you can find more information in Burgermeister’s letter to Dr. Chan, head of WHO ):
1. Why are we at pandemic level 6 (the highest level) when the swine flu is so mild?
2. Why is a motion for legislation mandating forced vaccination being filed in the United States?
3. Genetically, swine and bird flu viruses don’t mix. So how could a genome sequence of a swine flu and bird flu and human flu come together, unless it was man-made?
4. Why would a vaccine that is rushed through the “fast-track” for clearance (fewer safety steps) be mandated in the United States?
5. Why isn’t the swine flu vaccine classified as a bioweapon?
6. Why don’t we know more about this from the media?
Being Healthy as a Protection
In the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), June 19th, 2002 edition, a scientific review of vitamins for chronic disease prevention in adults was printed. This well documented treatise, with 152 references, documented the benefits of nine vitamins and their positive effects on coronary heart disease, cancer, neural tube defects and osteoporosis. The treatise also documents the value of the vitamins in disease prevention.
Vitamins and minerals have also been shown to improve the immune system. Many times, as a therapeutic measure, the dosage for these substances far exceeds the recommended amounts for daily use. Below are some examples:
1. In children with a vitamin A deficiency and low T cell counts (T cells are critical in the killing of infectious agents), a single large dose of vitamin A of 100,000 IU restored the T cell counts to normal[i]
2. Enhanced T cell-mediated immune function takes place at vitamin E intakes of at least 200 IU per day[ii]
3. Treatment of iron deficiency anemia showed improvement in T cell activity, IgG and IgM levels (antibody levels), white cell bactericidal (bacteria killing) activity[iii]
4. Twelve healthy individuals received a single dose of vitamin C (60 mg / kg or 4800 mg in a 180 pound man) and had a significant enhancement of natural killer cell activity for more than 24 hours[iv]
5. Selenium at 2 mg / kg reversed the age related immune cell decline seen in elderly mice[v]
6. Effects of vitamin C on a wide variety of viruses showed all were inactivated as the vitamin C was oxidized. Some of the commonly known viruses tested included hepatitis, measles, mumps, viral orchitis, herpes zoster, encephalitis, and others[vi]
7. 11,000 patients over a 14 year period were given vitamin C doses to cause bowel tolerance (a clinical term meaning enough dosage to cause diarrhea). The more severe the illness, the greater the number of grams needed to achieve bowel tolerance to destroy the virus. Up to 150 grams per day were needed in influenza.[vii]
8. 818 volunteers were followed through one winter. The volunteers had been administered either vitamin C, 250 mg 4 times per day (which was increased to 1000 mg four times per day if participants were ill), compared to a equally matched placebo group. The following was noted: no illness in 100 days-26 % in the vitamin C group, 18% in the placebo group; days confined to house-21% lower in vitamin C group; days missed at work-30% less in the vitamin C group. All these values reached significance with p < 0.05 or less.[viii]
9. Vitamin D was given to inmates in one prison ward but was not given to other inmates in the Atascadero prison in California in 2005. A severe flu outbreak hit the prison, but the inmates in the ward receiving vitamin D did not have a single inmate infected, even though they mingled with the other inmates.[ix]
10. Many immune system diseases are improved with vitamin D administration, including some cancers, diabetes type I, Grave’s disease (autoimmune), Lupus Erythematosus, and Multiple Sclerosis.[x]
How Sugar Affects Our Immune System
The substances we take into our mouth also affect our immune system. For example, the following is a list of specific immune deficits caused by the ingestion of sugar:
1. Sugar interferes with the body’s phagocytes’ (the cells that eat up bacteria or viruses, like PacMan) ability for at least 5 hours after ingestion.[xi]
2. High glucose levels in the blood stream bind to proteins, thus damaging the immune system.[xii]
3. Sugar causes inflammation, which triggers an immune system response. This may distract the immune system from more important duties, like killing viruses or bacteria or cancer cells.
About the swine flu vaccine:
Continuing with Dr. Blaylock’s analysis:
1. Of the 5 tests that have been scheduled for vaccine safety, no one in the test group has been or will be injected with the adjuvant (the immune booster that makes the vaccine more effective); the adjuvant will be added later for mass vaccination. Injecting without the adjuvant makes the “testing” for safety suspect.
2. No data is available on safety for these vaccinations in children.
3. The vaccine has been “fast-tracked” (which means that, in the interest of speed, many of the usual safety precautions will not be required).
4. Sixty virologists were asked what they were doing personally about the swine flu. Of the interviewed virologists, thirty said nothing, twenty were stocking Tamiflu, and none mentioned taking the swine flu vaccine.
5. No information will be available on the safety profile of mixing the three viruses into a single vaccine, or the safety profile if the three viruses are given sequentially in three vaccinations.
6. Vaccine contamination is widespread, including containing pestivirus, mycoplasma, viral fragments, DNA fragments and bacterial components, all of which can cause chronic systemic disorders, cancer, neurologic disease and slow brain degeneration.
Other known facts:
1. The pharmaceutical companies making and distributing the vaccine are protected from law suits relative to the vaccine, regardless of the outcome, once the vaccine is widely administered.
Recommendations from Dr. Gardner:
1. Do not get the swine flu vaccine
2. Eat ‘real’ food and avoid processed food, especially refined sugar, which affects the immune system
3. Take a potent multivitamin (usually at least 4 to 6 per day) and omega 6 and omega 3 oils
4. Vitamin D levels in your blood should be in the 50s. If you don’t know your level, and you live in the northern US, take at least 1000 IU (or preferably 5000 IU) of D3 each day.
5. Check out my website for additional references to this and other health issues, and for more supportive evidence for nutritional supplementation to our diets: http://www.stangardnermd.com
6. If you get an infectious illness (whether swine flu, regular flu, colds, sinusitis, .):
* increase your vitamin C intake to at least 6 to 10 grams orally each day
* take anti-virals like citricidal, echanacea, andrographis, astragalus
* consider taking beta-glucan and colostrum which will build the immune system (specifically the natural killer cells)
I subscribe to Bernarr Macfadden’s philosophy. This pioneer in health made an astute comment back in 1928-one that serves us well to follow today: “The reader should now be fully persuaded to accept the statement of our assurance that most disease is preventable. There is no physician of any school who will not agree to the proposition that if the body be healthy it has the power to resist the aggressions of any kind of disease. Even though one accept the germ theory to its fullest extent, we have shown that disease germs cannot grow and thrive in a healthy organism. No matter what contagion is, or how it works, it has no power over a healthy body.” (Macfadden’s Encyclopedia of Physical Culture, p. 66.)
[i] Bhaskaram P, et al. Effects of subclinical vitamin A deficiency and administration of vitamin A as a single large dose on immune function in children. Nutr Res 1989;9:1017-1025.
[ii] Meydani SN, et al. Vitamin E supplementation and in vivo immune response in healthy elderly subjects. A randomized controlled trial. JAMA 1997;277:1380-1386.
[iii] Zanni G, et al. An evaluation of the effect of iron treatment on some immune parameters in sideropenic patients. Curr Ther Res 1989;45:48-52.
[iv] Vojdani A, et al. In vivo effect of ascorbic aci on enhancement of human natural killer cell activity. Nutr Red 1993;13:753-764.
[v] Roy M, et al. Supplementation with selenium restores age-related decline in immune cell function. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 1995;209:369-375.
[vi] Murata A. Virucidal activity of vitamin C for prevention and treatment of viral diseases. In Proc First Int Congr IAMS, Takezi Hasegawa (ed.), Science Council of Japan, 1975
[vii] Cathcart RF. Vitamin C: the nontoxic, nonrated-limited, antioxidant fee radical scavenger. Med Hypotheses 1985;18:61-77.
[viii] Anderson TW, et al. Vitamin C and the common cold: a double-blind trial. Can Med Assoc J 1972;107:503.
[x] Literature review
[xi] W. Ringsdorf, et al. Sucrose neutrophilic phagocytosis and resistance to disease. Dental Survey 52, No. 12, 1976, pp. 46-48.
[xii] R. Pamplona, et al. Mechanisms of glycation in atherogenesis. Medical Hypotheses 40, 1990, pp. 174-181.